- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup almond meal + 1/4 cup ground flax meal (this mixture stands in for the 2nd cup of flour and loads these muffins with good stuff)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 pinches salt
- 2/3 cup sugar (add a Tbs. more if it’s too sour for you–these are very lemony!)
- Zest and juice from 4 small or 2 large lemons
- 1/2 cup + 2 Tbs non fat yogurt
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup apple sauce
- 2 eggs
- 3 Tbs. poppy seeds
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Grease 16 muffin cups and set aside.
- In a large bowl combine all dry ingredients (except poppy seeds), plus the lemon zest.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together all wet ingredients.
- Pour the wet ingredients in with the dry and mix until just combined.
- Gently fold in poppy seeds.
- Fill muffin cups 3/4 full and bake for 15-17 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Makes 16 incredibly moist, SUPER lemony, protein rich muffins!
FYI-You can get everything except the poppy seeds from Trader Joe’s
Modified from Cookin’ Cowgirl