- 1 3/4 cup whole wheat flour (or for added fiber and protein use: 1 cup flour, 1/2 cup almond meal, 1/4 cup ground flax seed)
- 1/2 cup plus 2 Tablespoons cane sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce or mashed banana
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon molasses
- 2 cups grated zucchini (unpeeled)
- 4-6 Tablespoons unsweetened almond milk
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Nonstick spray 1 muffin pan or 1 loaf pan and set aside.
- In a large bowl, stir together the flour (+ almond meal and flax, if using), sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Add in the eggs, applesauce or mashed banana, vanilla extract, molasses, and grated zucchini and stir until all the ingredients are just incorporated. Slowly add in the almond milk, stopping when the batter is reasonably thick and completely uniform. Scrape the batter into the prepared loaf pan and bake in the oven at 350°F for about 40 minutes. For muffins, fill 12 cups with batter nearly to the rim and bake for 15-20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool. Devour.
Modified from Foodie Fiasco