- 1/3 cup applesauce (those single serve lunch box ones are perfect)
- 1/3/-1/2 cup honey (depending upon how sweet you want it)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 1. 5 cup mashed ripe bananas (about 3 large)
- 1 cup whole wheat flour + 3/4 cups almond meal (or just do all flour if preferred)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup hot water
- Optional: 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, chocolate chips and/or cacao nibs
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, whisk applesauce and honey together. Add eggs, and mix well. Stir in bananas and vanilla. Stir in flour and salt. Separately mix baking soda and hot water, then add to batter. Fold in chopped nuts and/or chocolate chips (if using). Pour into greased muffin pan or greased 9×5 inch loaf pan if you prefer.
- Bake for 55 to 60 minutes for loaf or about 20-25 min for muffins (check that it’s cooked through with toothpick). Cool on wire rack for 1/2 hour before slicing loaf.
Modified from All Recipes.