My new favorite. Amazing flavors reminiscent of Lebanese soups. Powerfully delicious.
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 Tbs minced garlic
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 cup dry red lentils, rinsed and drained
- 2 large carrots, sliced
- 6 cups of water
1 bunch collard greens – rinsed, stemmed and thinly sliced
- 1 Tbs ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
- In a large soup pot, saute the onions, garlic and salt in 1 Tbs olive oil until onions turn soft, about 4 minutes
- Add the lentils and carrots and cook for 1 minute
- Pour in water, then bring to a boil over high heat, then turn heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until the lentils are tender, about 15 minutes
- Meanwhile, heat 1 Tbs olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add collard greens, and cook until wilted, about 5-7 minutes.
- When the lentils are tender, stir in the collard greens and season with cumin and cinnamon. Allow to simmer 10 more minutes.
- Stir in lemon juice before serving
modified from: allrecipes.com