- 2 cups whole wheat flour (or sub one cup with 3/4 cup almond meal & 1/4 cup ground flax meal)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup dark brown sugar, packed, divided
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup yogurt
- 2 large apples, peeled, cored, and coarsely chopped
- Preheat oven to 450°F (not a typo). Grease 16 muffin cups and set aside.
- Mix together the flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon, and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, cream the coconut oil, then add all the regular sugar and half of your brown sugar. Beat until fluffy. Add the egg and mix well.
- Hand stir in the yogurt, add the dry ingredients, and finally, fold in the apples.
- Divide the batter evenly among muffin cups, sprinkling the remaining 1/4 cup brown sugar on top. FYI, batter will be fairly stiff, but that’s normal–add a little applesauce if you want to.
- Bake for 10 minutes, then turn heat down to 400°F, and bake for an additional 5 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean. Cool the muffins for 5 minutes in the tin, then turn them out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
Modified from Smitten Kitchen